Mangalore Cucumber Ghassi (curry)



 This is a typical Mangalore / Konkani dish. Last week, my friend gave me Mangalore Cucumbers grown from her garden. I had never used this vegetable before; so I called my friend who is from Mangalore and got this recipe. The dish came out tasty and everyone in my family thought it was delicious. I especially enjoyed eating this dish with Rice and Chapati. I want to thank both of my friends for the fresh organic cucumber and for this flavorful recipe.

 Ingredients:
Cucumber –1
Sprouted green gram – 1/4 cup
Salt  as required

For Grinding :
Red chillies – 7
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Jaggery(powdered)-  1 tbsp
Tamarind – a small piece 

For  seasoning:
Coconut Oil – 1 tablespoon
(I have used peanut oil)
Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chillies- 3-4
Curry leaves-4-5
Turmeric-1/4 tsp
Coriander(chopped)- garnishing

 Method:

Cut the Cucumber into cubes and cook it.(Don't cook very soft).Pressure cook sprouted green gram for 10 minutes.(You can cook it on stove top so it wont get mushy).Dry roast the spices separately and then grind them with coconut, tamarind.
Take a pan/kadai.Heat oil and add seasoning ingredients one by one. Add cooked cucumber and green gram dal to this.Also add the ground paste.Add salt and little water if needed. Cook until the gravy is thick.
Garnish with coriander.

Comments

Unknown said…
Looks very flavourful, miss those cucumbers here in US.We ususally make sambar with it, yours is different recipe. will save this.
KennyT said…
Wow, lucky you, you have a nice friend. I have never seen a Mangalore Cucumber before.